OZ Minerals is a copper-focused international company based in South Australia. Carrapateena is a copper-gold project located approximately 160km north of Port Augusta in South Australia’s highly prospective Gawler Craton.
The project is located on Pernatty Station and its supporting infrastructure is located within Oakden Hills Station. The Kokatha people are the traditional owners of the land.
Native Title Mining Agreement (NTMA) is in place between OZ Minerals and Kokatha Aboriginal Corporation and is underpinned by a ‘Partnering Agreement’. This agreement, also known as ‘Nganampa palyanku kanyintjaku (translated to; keeping the future good for all of us) acknowledges that today, tomorrow and in the years ahead, the project will be a partnership with the Kokatha People.
This relationship has many powerful benefits for both parties. Some of the positive outcomes for Kokatha include:
- A strong focus on capacity building
- Assisting KAC to increase its capabilities regarding employment and training
- Cultural heritage and record keeping
- Return to country property acquisition
- Creation of Employment pathways
- Business development opportunities
KAC and OZ Minerals have co-created a sound business relationship which is evidenced in the frequent and positive interactions and outcomes. The Executive of both organisations meet 6 times per year and the Operations Management Teams meet fortnightly.
The NTMA is reviewed annually and the Partnership agreement won the 2017 Premiers Community Excellence Award in Mining and Energy for Excellence in Social Inclusion.
WOOMERA RANGE COMPLEX
Kokatha Aboriginal Corporation has continued to strengthen is working relationship with the Department of Defence through:
- Culture and heritage Management of Woomera Prohibited Areas
- Employment and Training of Kokatha People
- Kokatha Martin Joint Venture implementation in the Woomera area regarding Department of Defence infrastructure works
- Cultural respect training delivery to Department of Defence employees
- Development of future commercial opportunities within the Kokatha Native Title Footprint
INDIGENOUS LAND AND SEA CORPORATION (ILSC)
PRIMARY INDUSTRIES AND REGIONS SA (PIRSA)
- Andamooka, Purple Downs and Roxby Downs Stations (Kokatha Pastoral Pty Ltd)
- Kokatha Charitable Trust,
- Kokatha Compensation Trust
- Kokatha General Trust