Deputy Chief Executive Officer
The Kokatha People are the Traditional Owners of a large section of land in the north of South Australia. This area stretches from Lake Torrens in the East to the Gawler Ranges in the West. The Kokatha Traditional Owners’ Native Title area encompasses significant mineral deposits which are subject to current mining operations and future potential mining activities. The Native Title area also includes the townships of Woomera, Roxby Downs and Andamooka which are major service centres for this part of regional South Australia.
Kokatha people are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the focus of this position is to develop skills, experience and workplace leadership, and work for the benefit of all Kokatha People. This role aims to further strengthen the connection between Kokatha community and the Kokatha Aboriginal Corporation (KAC).
Your key objectives include:
- Work with the CEO to provide leadership, direction and guidance and oversee all functions within the organisation;
- Manage the strategic development and implementation of partnerships across the organisation with a focus on community engagement and outcomes;
- Establish and coordinate the KAC Communication Strategy, including the facilitation of community meetings
- Provide operational support to KAC Corporate Services, Kokatha Pastoral Pty Ltd (KP) and Kokatha Mining Services Pty Ltd (KMS) and any other related entities.
- Support professional business operations, risk management and financial performance across the organisation;
- Contribute to the development of relevant strategic plans and implement operational plans;
- Oversee all Secretariat functions related to Kokatha Compensation and Charitable Trusts;
- Support the embedding of core organisational values across the organisation;
- Represent KAC with stakeholders and community representatives.
You will need experience in effectively leading services and/or projects including building partnerships with regulators and government agencies, as well as a deep knowledge and understanding of Kokatha Native Title, heritage, language, lore and culture. You will also need:
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline or relevant experience
- Strong contemporary knowledge of Aboriginal culture, aspirations and self-determination and the ability to provide cultural leadership across the organisation, and among stakeholders and communities
- Ability to effectively engage and work with the Kokatha community for the benefit of all Kokatha people
- Demonstrated ability to build strong and productive relationships with Kokatha peoples and KAC stakeholder communities
- Understanding of and commitment good governance practices
- Proven commercial management skills including managing budgets and financial reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams, to mentor and empower staff and to build a culture of engagement and success.
- Willingness to undertake further training and study to enhance leadership skills and development
- Current valid Driver’s license, minimum of Class “C” or equivalent
Appointment to this position will be subject to a National Criminal History Record Check clearance. Two reference checks will be required including one recent supervisor.
We offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Non-profit status with salary sacrifice available to reduce tax and increase your take home pay
- An opportunity to really make a difference in to the Kokatha Aboriginal community
To find out more please contact Kelli Dragos, Abundance Human Resources on 0419 419 554.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter via seek online or at the KAC office at 35 Flinders Terrace, Port Augusta.
Your cover letter must describe how you meet the following criteria:
- Strong contemporary knowledge of Kokatha culture, aspirations and self-determination and the ability to provide cultural leadership across the organisation, and among stakeholders and communities
- Experience in effectively leading services and/or projects including building partnerships with regulators and government agencies
A merit selection process will be undertaken for this role in accordance with the KAC Recruitment & Selection Policy & Procedure. [link removed]
The closing date for this role is 9.00am on Wednesday, 1 September 2021.