Kokatha Aboriginal Corporation recently formed a Lore and Culture Sub- Committee to provide information and advice to the corporation on matters of Kokatha Lore and Culture. The group currently consists of 4 Kokatha female Elders and 4 Kokatha male Elders. The elected co-chairs of the sub-committee are Glen Wingfield and Barbara Amos.
At its first meeting in September, this group also committed to the following priorities:
- Language retention
- Maintaining cultural heritage
- Developing and delivering cultural respect training
- Establishing a Men’s and a Women’s Group
- Engage and develop a youth group
- Support Kokatha members to attend Men’s and Women’s business
- Provide advice and input to KAC stakeholders
- Develop a Kokatha Lore and Culture strategy
The next meeting of the group will focus on the Woomera Heritage Management Plan.