The Kokatha People are the Traditional Owners of a large section of land in the north of South Australia. This area stretches from Lake Torrens in the East to the Gawler Ranges in the West. The Kokatha Traditional Owners’ Native Title area encompasses significant mineral deposits which are subject to current mining operations and future potential mining activities. The Native Title area also includes the townships of Woomera, Roxby Downs and Andamooka which are major service centres for this part of regional South Australia.
The brand new centre will enable selected male Aboriginal offenders from rural and remote areas to create and or maintain their linkages and connections to Country, community, family and social networks within their communities in a supported residential setting.
Kokatha people are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, this position is responsible in providing additional support as per case management plan to assist with supporting a range of activities. This includes but is not limited to transport, cultural and emotional support. There are multi positions available ranging from full time to casual.
Your key objectives include:
- Responsible for site operation and safety when the Facilities Manager is off-site
- Providing cultural support
- Providing personal care support
- Developing skills in household tasks with clients
- Helping clients learn new skills
- Supporting clients to start employment
- Supporting clients with grocery shopping and meal preparation
- Working with doctors and therapist to ensure support is given to the client as their needs dictate
- Demonstrating and support development of new life skills such as budgeting
- Adjusting and adapting communication and body language to suit client needs
- Supporting clients to develop new hobbies and interests
- Transporting and accompanying clients to appointments
- Linking clients with services and products they require (such as Centrelink, housing, medical or legal)
- Assisting clients in organising appointments and meetings and ensure invitees attend these meetings
- Enforce health and safety procedures
You will need the following to be successful in this role:
- Certificate IV Community Services or similar or willingness to obtain within 12 months of commencement.
- Experience working in a similar job/ environment.
- Demonstrated ability to engage & work effectively with Aboriginal people and communities.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage with all stakeholders.
- Effective time management and personal organisational skills
- Competent user of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently, and as a team member
- Ability to hold and maintain relevant security clearances such as National Police Check, Working with Children clearance etc.
- Current valid Driver’s license, minimum of Class “C” or equivalent
Appointment to this position will be subject to a National Criminal History Record Check clearance. Two reference checks will be required including one recent supervisor.
We offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Non-profit status with salary sacrifice available to reduce tax and increase your take home pay
- An opportunity to really make a difference in to the Kokatha Aboriginal community
To find out more please contact Julia Trendall, Abundance Human Resources, 040 153 6225.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter via seek online or at the KAC office at 35 Flinders Terrace, Port Augusta.
Your cover letter must describe how you meet the following criteria:
- Detail previous experience in a similar role or industry that you feel is relevant to this position
- Your desire and career desires within the community services industry
- How you feel you can provide leadership to achieve the required outcomes with Aboriginal offenders
A merit selection process will be undertaken for this role in accordance with the KAC Recruitment & Selection Policy & Procedure.
The closing date for this role is 8th November 5pm 2021.